Sunday 31 July 2011

2 races, one day and painful legs

Today's blog post is a three in one!! Today we raced at Tudor Grange Park in Solihull and there was a 4th cat race a 3rd cat race and an elite/1st/2nd/3rd cat race. The 4th cat race (40 mins + 10 laps) saw three Banbury star riders doing there first race ever, Dave Anson, Roger Foster (my dad) and Tim Hiscocks. This is the first 4th cat race I've watched for a while but compared to the last one I saw this was a lot faster, and being there first the did a good performance unfortunately getting dropped but there was quite a few people who looked strong and could have been 3rd cats. The race did have a crash with a few laps to go and in the end Stratford CC rider Mike won and has now move up to 3rd cat.

The 3rd cat race saw me and Mike Betts from Zappi trying to pick up a few points, this is the first time I raced here in about 2 years and it was less hilly than I remembered and with the big sweeping bend it was lots of fun. After many people tried attacking including me, breakaways where not staying away so I was just going to try and get ready for the sprint and by the time it was the last lap I was ready and legs felt good. As we went round the last bend I was in the top gear 52X14 and sat in the saddle and sprinted as fast as I could. I managed to just pass Mike and I think I got about 9th place but not sure about that, another point to add to the collection.

The race 50 mins +10 laps
Time 01:02:57
distance 26.06
Avg speed 24.9
Max speed 34.1

After quickly stopping changing number and drinking a can of coke I soon found myself on the start line for the elite race. I was at the front and still only just recovering from a sprint in the last race. This race was just go, there was no neutral lap like the last race and the pace went up fast but even though the cornering was faster it was strung out in one line and it was not too bad, I loved it and I kept looking at the time and saying to myself if I can just stay here for 5 more minutes I'll be happy. I spent most the race trying to hold wheels and keep with the main group a breakaway did get away and lap us then another breakaway got away and I was trying to work out how many people were out in front but gave up. Once I got to ten laps to go I kept telling myself hold on for another lap and we got to the last lap and I was still there and I had to just keep myself there and I will have done well. I crossed the line about two or three bike lengths off the back and was not sure how I had done but needed a drink more because half way though the race I finished my water bottle. It turns out I got about 15th and if so that means another point. A lot better than I thought I could do and getting a bit closer to my 2nd cat licence.

The race 1 hour +10 laps
Time 01:11:17
distance 30.57
Avg speed 25.8
Max speed 33.0
Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment