Saturday 9 July 2011

Oakley Village road race

Photo by Steve Avery

Today I raced in the Oakley Village road race a 2nd, 3rd and 4th cat race so the speed was going to be high over the 52 mile (6 lap) race. Thus after getting there a bit early it rained very hard but with a hour and a half till the race it dried up quickly. We all meet in a side road to be told the DOs and DON'Ts for the race and then we started but stopped on the finish line and then started the race soon after. After the first bend there was a few cars parked on the side and everyone slowed down and as we slowed I felt someone hit my back wheel but I did not hear anyone go down. Soon into the race the pace was high and after a few laps I moved up and sat behind Rob Yeatman from Team Jewson and he attacked and I went with him and we where going fast and I did a turn on the front as we chased the break and as I pulled off the front more and more people started to sit behind us so that was that breakaway over. After sitting in to recover we had about 2 laps left and a breakaway went and stayed away with a Zappi rider Roger Prior (who took 4th). On the last lap me and Rob Yeatman moved up to the front and as the bunch got ready for a sprint finish the bunch got a bit scrappy as I sat in the middle and people came around me from both sides! I managed to stay near to the front and as we entered Oakley heading for the finish line the speed was high and getting higher and going for the line I was sat in the saddle sprinting and passed some riders and got over the line but unsure of my position but I'm happy with that it was good training.

Race stats
Avg. speed 25.5 mph
Max speed 36.3 mph
Time 02:04:33
Distance 52.83 miles

Thanks for reading
Results are here

1 comment: