Monday 16 July 2012

TMG Horizon Road Race

Yesterday was my longest race ever at 75 miles and it was a nice day for it.  I started off with arm warmers as it was bit chilly and I did a very short warm up and we soon were lining up ready to start.  The neutralized part from the HQ to the course was short but just right to get the legs going and as soon as the flag dropped someone attacked and everyone just kept the pace the same not wanting to go to hard but it then picked up and the racing was on.  The first lap was not super fast but people kept trying to get away and I got to see what the course was like and liked the look of the last climb towards the finish, but was unsure how much my legs would like it after 75 miles.

As we crossed the line we had 5 full laps to go, with two laps to the first prime.  A lot of the time there were people up the road but not too far ahead as no one would let anyone get away, and if one group got pulled back another would get away!  I was getting warm so when the pace was low I took the opportunity to take off my arm warmers and had to put them up the back of my jersey out of the way.  As we got to the end of the second lap I threw my bottle to the side and just had time to grab my next bidon (first time I've ever done that by the way) and luckily I didn't drop it!

The next lap was spent mostly trying to keep fueled up and I drank a lot of water from the bidon I had grabbed over the line.  The race carried on with people just of the front never getting too far away and people always attacking and as we crossed the line again I ditched my bottle I got the last time round as it was almost empty and was just extra weight.  Then as the pace was up on a rolling part of the course I was about 20 bike lengths off the front and all I could hear was the crashing of man and carbon hitting the road as we were doing about 32 mph.  As it turns out my mate Luke Souter was in the crash and came out the worst with a broken collar bone.  I never saw him in the race after that (now I knew why) but I thought he was just hiding in the bunch ready to surprise everyone at the end.

The last two laps got very hectic as the pace went up with attacks and people pushing the pace on.  And as we crossed the line for the last lap 18 people were up the road and it took a while to get anyone to chase but one big guy got to the front and just strung the bunch out and the Justin Belcher did a turn and then so did I, we got the break close and then the bloke who started the chase rode away as no one got on his wheel.  one of his team mate attacked and so did I and we got up the drag and then down a fast hill and we got to the front group just in time for them to slow down and then the main bunch came across.  The pace was then fast to the finish.  As we went down the last hill it was time to fight for a place and as Team Corley were leading out everyone wanted to be behind them and as we hit the hill I sprinted as hard as I could and ended up clipping someone who was going backwards!  I lost my speed after this as I tried to keep up right and then had to fight a big gear to keep moving and with the worst cramp ever in my right leg!  I crossed the line but could not stand on my right leg!  I'm not sure on my placing but I'm glad I got though the race, as it was a 6am start and 3 hours of pain on the bike ...But it was fun.

Thanks for reading


No comments:

Post a Comment