Thursday 31 May 2012

Banbury star 10 mile TT

 Tonight I felt good it took me a long time in the day to get going so I didn't go out cycling in the morning but I felt good as I hopped on the bike and road out to the start.  After signing on I warmed up a bit put on aero helmet on just in time for it to start to rain.  And did it rain hard, like there was extra force behind it.  As I started the TT it was still raining but I think it may have eased slightly - I think this was just wishful thinking.  It was just like any other time trial I have done before start off, don't go too hard just yet then once the legs are going push harder and harder on the pedal.  I was at full speed and as I went over the first hill, well a bridge, I was starting to catch my minute man.  As I got closer he was catching his minute man.  After passing both of them I kept powering away and over the last hill on the way out I just had to go round a roundabout and then turn around at the next.  I was taking it easy on the bends as I didn't want to fall off.  As I got up to the third roundabout I check there was no cars behind me only one down the road, so I moved out to the middle of my side off the road.  But as I got closer to the roundabout a car tried to overtake and just got level with me.  So indicated I was going right and felt it was my right of way because I was not the idiot trying to overtake upto a roundabout.

As I went into the bend the conti competition tub on the front wheel gripped well but the vittoria on the back slid away and the bike just went and nothing I could do.  I slid along the road as did my bike just a bit quicker than me.  and then I ran out of momentum and rolled over once or twice.  I felt my pointy helmet hit the ground and give my neck a good whack as I rolled.  I ended up laying face down if the road I think and looked up to thankfully see the car stopped and not killed me to death.  Although I thought that was her original plan!  I laid in the road not rushing to get up because if something was broken or close to broken it would have made it worst.  As I dragged myself up as she asked if I was alright, with her door open and standing behind it in fear I may have beat her to death with my own bidon.  I was however not sure how to answer that.

"NO, you fucking idiot!  You tried to overtake in a dangerous area!!" Is what I think would have been a simple response that got to the point.  However when a thing like this happens all your wit can get pushed out your head as your in a bit of shock .

My real response was "Yes... I think" as I got out of the road she soon fucked off and John Shaw kindly gave me a tissue to mop up some small amount of blood.  I got my chain back on and got going again.  my head was not quite in the right place and did not push it.

All the work to catch the two people in front of me and the average speed the right side of a PB, I was disappointed.  Once I could get my are on the arm pad without any paid I started pushing again and overtook the first guy I caught and then pushing hard I caught the 2nd at the top of the last hill as it went down hill towards the finish.  I gave up a bit before the line and free wheeled over.  I took my helmet off and rolled back to the layby to tell everyone the tale of my "adventure".  Ignoring everyone and getting to my parents car I though my favorite aero helmet in the back of the car and proceeded to use profanity to explain what had happened.

The list of injures seems to be growing apart from the road rash I have a bruise on my left leg that I found driving this morning as I rested my hand on my leg.  Pulled muscles in my right shoulder and left side of my neck.  I am hoping to race at the bowl tonight as my leg is not stiff, not I hope it will be warm enough for no arm warmers as getting one of them of my left arm will hurt...

Thanks for reading
Results are here


No comments:

Post a Comment