Saturday 5 May 2012

Andy Morrison Memorial Road Race

Today I rode the Andy Morrison Memorial Road Race, near Cranfield on a 2 mile circuit that we had to do 18 time!  As we started I tried to get out in a breakaway and was riding near the front with Henry Latimer because I know hes a good rider to get in a break with.  After loads of attacking we had done one lap including the neutral section and had 18 laps to go.  Once I saw that I was not going to get in a break I tried to sit in the bunch and recover, there was the normal hard efforts you get in road races and at no point did it slow down and bunch up as riders were hammering it and the wind was strong, going up the climb there was a head wind then on the descent it was fast 35 to 45 mph most times then round the left hand bend and up the hill.  not much happened until the last lap were I started getting into a good place, when we went down the hill the pace was up and fast but I kept near the front out the way of crashing.  Then as we hit the hill for the last time I followed the right wheels and got to the top in maybe the top 10.  As we went round the last bend people kicked hard out of it but I was keeping in a good place but as we got closer to the line and people pulled off I was going to sprint, feeling I tried to move left but so did the person in front of me and and ended up smashing over a top hole on the side and I tried to sprint after that but hitting that pot hole it broke my rhythm and slowed me down and ended up rolling in maybe outside the top 20.  Not what I had hoped but I was in the right place when I needed and maybe able to go for it one day.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment