Saturday 14 January 2012

Imperial Winter Series At Hillingdon Round 8

Today was my first race of the year, I was unsure how this was going to go because over the winter I've been doing longer rides but I never had any fast average speeds even on short rides and I seemed to good at going slow for a few hours. It was cold as I warmed up and I met another Zappi rider who was in my race -the E123 race- Nick Baker who had already been doing well at Hillingdon. As I waited for the 3rd cat race to end an ambulance turned up and drove on to the track to help some one who had been in a crash and was laying on the floor, luckily the bunch got past it safely. I was on the start line I felt good but not sure if that would be enough to keep up. After a long wait the race started, there was no sudden sprinting but I looked down and we were up to 23 mph already and we hit the hill and it got faster about 28 mph and I was still there and still felt I could keep with the bunch. Not too long into the race a breakaway managed to get away and I was starting to feel like it was not too bad and like I would keep up. Nick got in the break and I never saw him again. A few more breaks try to go throughout the race and because this was an elite race everyone worked together and I even did a few turns on the front! This surprised me as I did not know if I had the legs to help work at the front. After many fast laps we got to the 5 laps to go and I checked my garmin and it said an average speed of 26 mph. The sprint came very quickly and I was near the back but felt I had somthing in the legs to pass some people and I sprinted as hard as I could and was doing 32 mph up the hill and crossed the line about 13th in the group I think with 8 or 9 in the break I think I may have came about 20 somthing, not too bad for the first race of the year.



Thanks for reading
Results maybe here

No comments:

Post a Comment