Saturday 12 March 2011

Spring Chicken Road race

The bunch

Today was the Spring Chicken Road Race, My first race on the road this year and I loved it! It was very well organised and fast paced. There was only about two crashes that I know of but the second one was a big one. We started off and had a down hill tail wind and was going very fast and as we slowed down for the first bend we all got around it and I had to ride over a rough bit and felt my bottle fall out and looked down and it had, I then saw it on the second lap but not again after that. I was sitting near the back and not sure what happened but someone went down, not sure if he had touched wheels or not but he looked like he hit the ground hard! I think there was a bit of bumping shoulders for every one in this race. The last lap I felt OK so I had a energy gel but could have done with a drink (oh well). I was a bit boxed in at the back and the pace had slowed down and I could not move up, but managed to get on to my team mate Henry Latimer's wheel but soon got split up. As I hit the hill I got over still in the bunch and at the top heard cheering from my mum and Dave Anson (a cyclist from BSCC) and I then managed to move up a bit. On the descent I managed to move up on the out side and in about the last mile I think I heard this crash and managed to keep going but there was not a lot people about and as we sprinted to the line I passed my mate Tony Kiss and counted that only three people where ahead of me and thought "bloody hell, how did I get here" and then Tony came passed me right on the line so I ended up with 5th place and am very happy with that.

I'm now going to use the price money for a new water bottle...
Me and Henry
Thanks for reading
Results here

2 comments:

  1. Ha - think that was me going down on 2nd lap down the really narrow lane. The rider to my left stuck his hand out to indicate the 2 oncoming cars (which I'd already seen), whacked my bars and sent me sprawling. Fractured a small bone in my wrist but nothing too major.

    The crash at the finish was a biggy though by all accounts - one of my team mates was KO'd and carted off in an ambulance. Not good.

    Enjoy the rest of the season anyway (and stay safe!)
    Ta
    Rich
    CC Luton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rich,

    Sorry to hear about your wrist, I hope you heal soon!

    Hope your team mate is OK and not too hurt.

    Cam

    ReplyDelete